A 'potted' history of Eastbourne Meeting
A Quaker Meeting for Worship has been held in Eastbourne since 1910.
For many years Meetings were held in a variety of hired halls. Finally in 1935 a property was found consisting a cottage and two garages which had formally been stables. The buildings were purchased and the garages were converted to a Meeting House which opened for Worship in 1939.
The final instalment of the purchase price was paid on 1st April 1943. The following day a German U-boat surfaced off the Eastbourne shoreline and fired a shell which hit the front of the newly paid for building!
The building was brought back into use as a Meeting House in 1945; this was then replaced by the current Meeting House in 1952